Tuition and Fees

At Harz University of Applied Sciences you do not have to pay any tuition fees. The German Higher Education System is highly subsidised by the government. However, each semester you need to pay a semester contribution. This covers administrative costs and the semester ticket. It entitles you to use all buses within Wernigerode and Halberstadt for free.


  • Health Insurance

Please clarify questions concerning the coverage of your health insurance for your stay in Germany beforehand with your health insurance at home. The insurance must explicitly cover the return transport to your home country in case of emergency.

Europeans are generally insured via an agreement between the countries. You can ask your insurance provider for a „European Health Insurance Card“.

Non-Europeans will have to take out a private insurance.

  • Personal liability insurance

We recommend taking out personal liability insurance, covering the costs in case you cause any personal or material damage.


International exchange students who wish to study in Germany longer than 3 months need a visa. This is also true if you have a national residence card for a European member state. Visa application can take up to 3 months (mail and processing time). You should therefore contact your local German embassy in good time. In order to get a visa, you will need to submit an acceptance letter. You will receive this once we have obtained your complete application.

People from the following countries do not require a visa  

  • member states of the EU
  • Switzerland
  • USA
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • Australia
  • New Zealand
  • Israel

Are you a citizen of one of these countries? Please ensure your passport is valid for the duration of your studies at Harz University of Applied Sciences.



Semester contribution 2016

Wernigerode: 73,00€  


Halberstadt: 64,00€