FAQ Exams summer semester 2020

What do I have to bring along to the exams this semester? Where can I find the attendance sheet for the exams?

It is absolutely necessary that you bring along a completely filled out certificate of attendance for each exam. You can retrieve this here. These slips of paper must be kept ready at the examination venue and will be collected during the identity check/check of the student IDs during the examination and kept at the university for four weeks. If you do not have a certificate of attendance, we will have to exclude you from the examination.


Who is not allowed to take part in examinations?

Persons with recognisable symptoms of COVID-19 disease or any cold symptoms will be excluded from the exam. If you suffer from hay fever or similar illnesses, please have this confirmed by a doctor and carry the confirmation with you on the day of the examination. If you are ill with Covid-19, you may not take part in the exams. If you are unable to take the exam, you do not need to send a certificate to the Department of Student Affairs for this exam period. If (e.g. due to previous illnesses) you still have reservations about taking part in the examination and this has been certified by a doctor, please contact us immediately at arbeitssicherheit(at)hs-harz.de


When do I have to wear my mask?

During the examination period, mouth and nose protection is compulsory for all students on the entire campus. Please do not take off your mouth and nose cover until you are sitting at the examination place or have left the campus. You do not have to wear a mouth-nose cover during the examination. If you leave the examination place (e.g. to go to the toilet), you have to wear the mouth-nose cover again. Mouth and nose covers are not provided by the university. Please bring your own mouth and nose cover with you on the day of the examination. If you do not bring your own mouth-nose cover, you will be denied access to the examination room.

What are the rules of hygiene on campus?

All those present on campus must strictly observe hand hygiene and keep their distance.

What is done on campus to prevent infection and what can you do yourself during the examination period?

After the exams, the examination rooms are cleaned with virucidal disinfectant by student assistants (including the examination tables) and ventilated. In rooms with air conditioning systems the replacement rates are increased. In addition, highly frequented objects outside the examination rooms, such as handrails, water taps, etc. are disinfected. At the end of a test day the floors are cleaned and disinfected by an external specialist company. You also have the possibility to disinfect your examination table yourself. For this purpose we provide you with fleece cloths soaked with surface disinfectant at the entrance of the examination room. Contactless hand disinfectant dispensers are also installed at the main entrances to the university buildings.


How were the examination rooms equipped? When can I enter the examination rooms?

The distances between the examination tables were checked and precisely defined by the Dean' s offices beforehand. Please do not move any tables and stick to the given seating plan! Please do not arrive at the examination rooms until at least 15 minutes before the examinations. The premises will remain closed during the disinfection measures and we would like to prevent group formations in front of the rooms.


What else do I have to consider on campus?

In order to keep contacts and the mixing of people as low as possible, we ask you to leave the university immediately after the exam or after using the refectory. In order to prevent the formation of groups, the security guard will be present on campus and will also ask you to leave the campus. For the reasons mentioned above, no rooms can be used as self-study rooms, with the exception of the library.

Are there still accommodation possibilities during the examination period?

If you still need accommodation during the examination period, you can contact the Studentenwerk directly at Vermietung1(at)studentenwerk-magdeburg.de or by phone at 0049 391 67 51 549. There is a limited number of rooms available.


Is the canteen open during the examination period?

The canteen in Wernigerode offers a limited supply at lunchtime. At a few places in the area of the cafeteria the meals can be taken directly. Please use the TO-GO offer with priority. A mouth-and-nose protection must be worn when entering the canteen.

FAQ - information for all students

How and where do I apply for bridging assistance?

Bridging aid for students in financial emergency situations by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)

The Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) is helping students who are demonstrably in a financial or economic emergency situation owing to the corona pandemic with allowances totalling 100 million euros. They are paid out via the student service organisations – the Studierenden- or Studentenwerk (STW).

Online application here: www.ueberbrueckungshilfe-studierende.de

The most important questions about bridging aid: FAQs für Studierende englisch

Note: You can apply for bridging aid online as of 16th of June 2020 on, from 12 a.m. onwards. However, for technical reasons, we will only be able to process and assess the applications and initiate payments after the 25th of June 2020. Please help us to quickly process all applications by refraining from inquiries at the student service organisations.

BMBF Bridging Aid Hotline: Tel.: 0800 26 23 003, Email: ueberbrueckungshilfe-studierende@bmbf.bund.de

Positioning and information of the Student Union of Harz University

We welcome the fact that financial support is now also available outside of credit and loans.
Nevertheless we would like to share some important thoughts and hints with you:

With regard to the procedure, we would like to point out the importance of the timing of the application. To calculate the amount of the assistance payment, the account balance of the day before the application is decisive (for detailed information: see the link of the Studentenwerk). Here is an example: if you submit the application on 29.06., the account balance of 28.06. If you have 500€ on that day, because you want to pay your rent of 350€ on 30.06., then you get 0€ and are left with 150€ at the beginning of the month. But if you had already paid your rent on 27.06., you would get 400€, because on 28.06. there are only 150€ left on the account. So you would have 550€ at the beginning of the month. Therefore: Think carefully when you apply for the bridging allowance and inform yourself on the pages of the Studentenwerk! We would have wished that this help would have been available much earlier. Considering the fact that applications are only processed from 25.06. onwards, nobody will probably have this money on their account before the beginning of July. Many students would have benefited from these up to 500€ in March, April, May and June. Now, after the extensive relaxation of the corona measures, a large part of the classic student jobs are available again and this bridging aid is therefore obsolete for most students. Furthermore, it is not certain whether the money will be available at all. For example, you first have to be able to credibly prove that you have gotten into an emergency situation due to the pandemic. On the other hand, however, one must declare that no further applications for grants for other pandemic-related support options (e.g. emergency funds, foundations, support associations) from which further income is expected in the current month have been submitted for the month for which the bridging aid is being applied for, or that no application is intended for the month in question. If you are then denied bridging assistance, you are left empty-handed.

We don't want to advise anyone against applying for this support, but we consider it our duty to inform you about these central points of criticism and would like to urge you once again to read the information provided by the Studentenwerk thoroughly before applying.

Your StuRa

Do I have to wear a mask on campus?

The government of Saxony-Anhalt has changed its guidelines on covering one's face (nose and mouth) to prevent further spread of the corona virus. If you have no access to masks, it is allowed to craft your face coverings out of scarves, bandanas etc.
You are obliged to wear the coverings in public transportation and during any type of shopping starting 23 April 2020.

Where can I find information on digital teaching?

The digital summer semester begins on April 20: Teaching or examinations will be held exclusively online up to and including May 2.

The Harz University of Applied Sciences uses three basic platforms for digital teaching:

    Stud.IP: Administration of courses, digital communication, provision of learning materials
    Zoom: conducting online courses, collaborative work
    ILIAS: learning management system of the university, provision of teaching and self-study materials, tests and exercises, digital exams

All further information can be found here.

Will there be a change in the semester schedule for the summer semester 2020?

Change of the semester schedule for the summer semester 2020:

1. Courses begin on 20.04.2020 – online.

2. Regular courses will continue in the week after Whitsun, probably online. There will be no project and excursion week in summer semester 2020.

3. Two weeks of the regular examination period will be used for lectures.

4. The subsequent shortened examination period (two weeks) will be extended by an additional week (a total of three weeks examination time).

Lecture period: 20.04. - 10.07.      Examination period: 13.07. - 31.07.

Are there special regulations for the exams during summer 2020?

Regulation of exams:

1. Examinations during the examination period can be reduced by up to 50% if the corresponding competences are examined during the semester, e.g. by online tests via ILIAS. Examiners should make use of this option wherever possible. The detailed regulations are to be arranged by the lecturers.

2. The registration for the examination will be postponed by two weeks, i.e. to the period 08.06.-21.06.2020.

3. A withdrawal from examinations is also possible retroactively and after participation in an examination and must be declared by 30.11.2020. Medical and official medical certificates are not required. In this case, any mark booked will be withdrawn. Irrespective of this, all examination performances with the mark "insufficient" will be deleted as of 30.11.2020.

4. Scheduled registrations from the summer semester 2020 will be postponed to the summer semester 2021 and all scheduled registrations from the winter semester 2020/21 to the winter semester 2021/22.

5. These regulations apply to the examinations of the summer semester 2020 until revoked (before 20.04.2020). Conflicting regulations of the Harz University of Applied Sciences are not applicable during this period.

Do I need to register for exams in the summer semester 2020?

§ Section 12, Paragraphs 2 and 3 and Section 13, Paragraph 3 of the Bachelor's examination regulations and the corresponding regulations of the Master's examination regulations will be suspended in the summer semester 2020. The President's Office would like to point out that the students are thus completely free to decide whether they wish to register for examinations in the summer semester 2020. "Scheduled registrations" or "deadline warnings" will no longer be issued in the summer semester 2020; the entitlement to take examinations remains in force.


Where do I find all IT services of the Harz University?

The IT services of the Harz University can be found here at a glance.

Students abroad: What do I do when I return from a risk area?

Students who are travelling to the university from a risk area are requested to register by e-mail to: arbeitssicherheit(at)hs-harz.de.

If students return from risk areas and symptoms of illness occur, they must contact the health department of the respective district immediately and stay away from the campus.

Are there still events taking place?

All campus events, parties on campus (including the barbecue area), Orientation Days, university sports courses or the 1st semester party are forbidden/do not take place. Background is the common wish to counteract an increased spread of the corona virus in Saxony-Anhalt.

Which facilities are closed?

The use of group work areas and computer rooms is prohibited.

The sports hall, the canteens, the libraries, the gym, the outdoor fitness park, the barbecue area and the exhibition hall of the Villa are also closed.

Will the teaching and conducting of university examinations be suspended?

The Ministry of Economics, Science and Digitalisation has decided, on the basis of section 57 para. 6 HSG LSA, that teaching and the performance of university examinations shall be suspended as of 13 March 2020 and that the start of courses for the summer semester shall be set nationwide at 20 April 2020.

Courses and certificates of academic achievement which by their nature do not impair health and safety, in particular those which do not require physical presence - this may include e-learning modules and other online services, written work (seminar papers, final papers, etc.) - are not affected by this order.


Are there alternatives to literature research in the library?

Literature research and access to numerous e-books/e-journals also work online. Lending is still possible in the libraries.

Urgently needed books, e.g. for the preparation of theses or the like, are issued after prior contact with the library/Mrs. Peters by e-mail or phone 0049 3943-659 170 or with the library in Halberstadt/Mrs. Liebscher (kliebscher@hs-harz.de or 0049 3943-659-176).

What does the university do to break up gatherings on campus?

The guard duty times are to be extended. The guard duty is to break up meetings of students on campus. Independently of this, everyone is called upon to work towards minimising social contacts (even in the dormitories!).

Does the application deadline for the "Deutschlandstipendium" change?

No, application deadline is 30.04. You can obtain the weighted grade point average digitally on request by e-mail from your clerk in the Department of Student Affairs.

What do I do if something has to be submitted in writing?

In all cases in which the written form is prescribed by regulations of the university or is customary at the university, it is sufficient with immediate effect to send a scan or photograph of the handwritten signed document by e-mail to the responsible person/department of the university. The President's Office would like to point out that it is neither necessary nor desirable to submit the original document subsequently.