Exchange students have the possibility to either search for an apartment themselves or apply for accommodation in the online application form. Therein, the students authorize the International Office of Harz University of Applied Sciences to arrange in their name a room in a student hall of residence. 

Exchange students will live in shared apartments in the student halls of residence in Wernigerode or Halberstadt. The apartments have furnished single rooms, a shared kitchen (no microwave or oven) and shower/toilet for 2 to 3 students. Basic furniture (bed, cupboard, writing desk), Internet connection, washing machine and basic kitchen equipment are part of the facilities in each case.

The student halls of residence are approximately 4 km away from the campus and can be reached by bus within 15 minutes. The rent is maximum 300 Euros per month. In addition, a deposit of about 200 - 300 Euros must be paid prior to arrival. This will be returned to the students when they leave their room in an immaculate condition at the end of their stay. The halls of residence are administrated by the "Studentenwerk Magdeburg".

Should the number of exchange students exceed the number of hall of residence rooms available, privately owned shared flats for students are sourced. At the moment, we can guarantee accommodation for every incoming exchange student.

Student Hall Of Residence No. 5

Am Finkenborn 5

38855 Wernigerode


Accommodation opportunities

type of rooms                                                square meter of room

three room flat (in residential community)     17-22     

four room flat (in residential community)       18 

Room facilities

  • furnished with kitchen and bathroom only for students in exchange programmes
  • internet connection
  • cable TV

Special features

  • contingent rooms for students in exchange programmes
  • washing machines and tumble dryers in the building
  • bicycle shed (lockable)
  • free parking places on the grounds of the student halls

Public transportation via bus or tram

  • bus stop Charlottenlust


Mandatory Licence Fee

In Germany every household has to pay a media license if the household has any electric appliances such as TV, radio, video, DVD, computer with internet access, mobile phone or similar electronic devices that work as a television or radio receiver. As a student in Germany with your own room or with your shared apartment, you will be a household. You should therefore expect to have to pay this fee while you are in Germany.

You pay 18,36 € per month or 55,08 € for 3 months.

More information can be found here.


Generally it is possible for exchange students to look for a room themselves. In winter, many German students start their studies in Wernigerode. That's why it is rather problematic to find a furnished room for a short stay option.

We strongly advise students NOT TO look for a room themselves and the International Office cannot assist students with private searching.


Dorm tutor

Osama Saddiqui is your contact person if you have any questions about accommodation in the dormitory of the Studentenwerk (student union).

Mail: tutor.wh-wer(at)


Inguna, Latvia

"I recommend for each student take dorm in Finkenborn, because the rooms and equipment are in good condition and at the same time you have contact with other international students."