Practical Information


International students who wish to study in Germany longer than 3 months need a visa. Visa application can take up to 3 months (mail and processing time). You should therefore contact your local German embassy in good time. In order to get a visa, you will need to submit an acceptance letter and proof of sufficient means of subsistence, including sufficient health insurance.

Note: If you enter the country with a tourist visa or avail yourself of the visa exemption for short stays, you will not be able to obtain a student residence permit!

No visa is required for citizens of the following countries

  • EU member states
  • Switzerland
  • USA
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • Australia
  • New Zealand
  • Israel

Students of these countries may apply for a student residence permit from the Foreigners' Registration Office after they have entered the country. Please ensure that your passport is valid for the duration of your study visit in Germany.


  • Health Insurance

Please clarify questions concerning the coverage of your health insurance for your stay in Germany beforehand with your health insurance at home. The insurance must explicitly cover the return transport to your home country in case of emergency. EU citizens may use their European Health Insurance Card.

  • Personal liability insurance

We recommend taking out personal liability insurance, covering the costs in case you cause any personal or material damage.